Baked Rice Pudding recipe using European Rice
- 1 1.5 litre ovenproof dish
- 20 g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp European rice (medium grain)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 435 ml milk
- 125 ml cream
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and brush a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish with the melted butter.
- Cook the rice in a saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes, or until tender, then drain well.
- Place the eggs in a bowl and beat lightly. Add the sugar, milk, cream and vanilla extract, and whisk until well combined. Stir in the cooked rice, pour into the prepared dish and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Place the dish in a deep roasting tin and pour enough hot water into the tin to come halfway up the side of the pudding dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the custard is lightly set and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the pudding dish from the roasting tin and leave for 5 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions about Oven Baked Rice Pudding
Can I make rice pudding with oat milk?
Yes, you can swap out the milk and cream for oat milk. If you do this I suggest allowing the wet ingredients to soak for and hour before cooking. Then give it a good mix again before cooking.
What is rice pudding jam?
Traditionally, raspberry or strawberry jam is often served with rice pudding. These jams add a sweet and slightly tart flavour that complements the creamy texture of the pudding.
Can I make rice pudding with carnation milk?
Yes, you can swap out the milk and cream for Carnation milk. Carnation is milk with about 60% of the water removed. I would therefore recommend that you use a whole 354ml tin and then top up with either regular milk or water to 560ml.
How do you make rice pudding cooked in the oven?
Please see the above recipe for traditional oven-baked rice pudding.
Do I flavour rice pudding with nutmeg or cinnamon?
Do you have a rice pudding recipe for one / 1 serving?
The main issue is finding a suitable container to bake the rice pudding in. If it is too big the smaller quantity will be too shallow and it will not develop properly during cooking. I have had success with large ramekins from John Lewis. Put ramekins on a tray in case they boil over.
Use the above ingredients and divide by 4. Instead of 3 eggs try and find one small egg.
Do you have a rice pudding recipe for two / 2 servings?
As above, I would half the above ingredients, using one large egg or two small eggs. Divide the mix into two large ramekins.
Can I make this rice pudding with vegan coconut milk?
Yes, but you may need to experiment a little. I have found the viscosity of this milk varies from brand to brand. Start by replacing the milk and cream with 560ml of vegan coconut milk.
What temperature do I bake rice pudding in the oven?
Preheat the oven to 160°C
How can I make rice pudding chocolate?
Try adding two or three teaspoons to your taste of Organic Cacao Powder to the dry ingredients. Mix well before you add the liquids.