Leg of Lamb with Garlic and Rosemary, coated with Honey and Mustard
Sunday lunch traditionally is a time for families to come together and feast on juicy new-season roast lamb with all the trimmings. Spring leg of lamb is perfect for feeding a large gathering and you can rely on its sweet tender taste to be a crowd pleaser.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: Medium: 25 minutes per 500g plus 25 minutes
Well done: 30 minutes per 500g plus 30 minutes
Ingredients to serve 6-8
- 1 leg of lamb, approximately 1.6 kg
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 good sprigs of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 250ml hot water
- 60 ml dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Take the leg of lamb out of the fridge 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5/180-190°C,
- Mix the garlic with the oil and rosemary. Use your hands to coat the lamb all over with this mixture, rubbing well in. Season.
- Place the lamb on a rack in a roasting tin. Pour the water and the wine into the tin and roast for your calculated cooking time.
- Mix together the honey and mustard. Brush on to the lamb 10 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Wrap the lamb in foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the roasting tin over a medium heat and add 150 ml of boiling water. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon to release any rich sediment. Strain the sauce into a jug.
- Carve the lamb into slices and serve with the sauce.