Roast South African plums taste sensational in this colourful, healthy warm salad.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
- 8 South African plums, quartered and pitted
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 50g whole almonds
- 1tsp balsamic vinegar
- 250g pack cooked red & white quinoa
- 2 large handfuls young spinach
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6.
2 Put the sweet potato chunks into a roasting tin with the olive oil. Toss to coat, then roast for 15 minutes. Add the plums, chickpeas, cumin seeds, almonds and balsamic vinegar. Stir together and roast for a further 8-10 minutes. Cool slightly.
3 Microwave the quinoa according to pack instructions. Add to the roast fruit and vegetables with the spinach leaves and stir them through.
4 Mix together the dressing ingredients. Share the roasted fruit and vegetables between 4 serving plates and sprinkle the dressing on top.
Cook’s tip: For extra protein, stir through some chunks of marinated tofu when you add the quinoa. For non-vegans, try adding slices of dry-fried halloumi or chunks of feta cheese.